Ask the Dietitian: "What's on your healthy grocery list?" (Printable PDF)
Welcome to our series, Ask the Dietitian, where Pendulum Dietitian Kristin Neusel answers all of your burning nutrition and diet-related questions. Kristin is here to inform and empower you in all the food choices you make for yourself.
Interested in submitting a question to Kristin? Email it to her at email@example.com and we’ll try to answer it in an upcoming post!
Making healthy food choices starts at the grocery store! Keep these 3 things in mind when grocery shopping:
- Plan ahead: before you go, make a list of the items you’ll need throughout the week.
- Label read: always check the label, focusing on serving size, carbohydrates, and fiber. For items without a label, check your CalorieKing app.
- Keep in mind: other dietary considerations your doctor may want you to follow.
To make your trip to the grocery store a little easier, I've put together a printable grocery list for easy reference. Be sure to save a copy on your phone or in your grocery bag!
Some final tips:
- If you buy canned fruit in syrup, be sure to drain and rinse with water to wash away the extra syrup. Look for the words “in its own juice” to help prevent added sugars.
- Look for breads, grains, and cereals with whole-grains as the first ingredient listed. Aim for products with at least 3 grams of fiber per serving.
Happy grocery shopping!